1st + 2nd line IT Support Engineer role based in London and Bath
Salary between £28k-35k
One role based in London / One role based in Bath
Do you have a love for technology and interacting with people? Do you want to be part of a smart, fast-growing, and diverse team delivering exceptional support to our clients? Do you want to work with a varied set of charities and not for profit organisations, whose aim is to make a positive difference?
At Penelope our mission is simple: to provide great & affordable IT support for organisations making a positive difference.
We’re looking for a capable 1st / 2nd line IT support engineer who enjoys working with people + technology, likes solving problems and is looking for a new challenge.
Penelope provides IT support and services to charities and social enterprises across the UK. We're a refreshing alternative to conventional MSP's – we look to build good relationships with our clients and our aim is to do the best possible job for the amazing organisations we work for. So our clients like working with us, they trust us and it helps to make working at Penelope enjoyable, challenging and satisfying.
We’ve been in business since 2005, we’re a small + friendly team (currently 12) and we’re growing so we’re looking for someone to join us at an exciting time. We do a great job for our clients and that’s partly because we’re the total opposite of a corporate environment, so our clients matter and so do our team.
About the role
We’re looking for someone who is comfortable and experienced working at both 1st and 2nd lines to provide desktop support to our clients and their users. We support organisations using a variety of cloud (Office 365, Azure, G Suite) and on-prem (Windows, Macs, Exchange, SQL etc) environments and we’ll be looking to build-on your existing experience and to teach you some new things along the way. This role will be mostly based in the office or onsite.
We’re seeking a people person who is capable, eager, and smart – we really value problem solving and so you’ll be someone who likes a challenge and finding the right solution.
Every day will be different – it’s a varied role so as well as supporting clients remotely, you’ll have an opportunity to visit them on-site and to participate in projects, migrations, etc. Depending on your experience and the types of technology you’re interested in then there’ll also be the opportunity to learn new tech and to do some specialisation.
- Ability to enthusiastically diagnose technical issues quickly, in person, over the telephone and via our ticketing system
- Ability to communicate with users at all levels, simply and accurately describing technical problems in a way that users can understand (avoiding jargon)
- Excellent people and communication skills, both spoken and in writing
- Excellent problem-solving skills with a proactive and analytical approach
- Excellent organisational and time management skills - multitasking is a must
- Great attention to detail
- Previous experience supporting users with laptop, desktop, and printer issues
- Experience supporting and administrating Office 365 and/or Google Workspace
- Experience supporting networking devices / functions such as DHCP, Wi-Fi, routers, broadband etc.
- Experience supporting Windows 10 and common desktop software including Microsoft Office
- Basic understanding of cloud concepts
- Have the right to work in the UK
- At least two years experience* in a similar position. (*experience excludes any time as an apprentice or trainee)
- Experience supporting users within a virtualised environment
- Experience supporting users and devices running MacOS
- Experience supporting virtualised infrastructure assets
- Experience of MDM (mobile device management) inTune / Apple Configurator
- Networking skills, TCP/IP, routing, DNS, etc
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 – 2019 experience
- A certified MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)
- Experience working within a managed service provider (MSP) environment
- A Bachelor's Degree or equivalent advanced studies / training
What we’re offering
A good salary – we believe in recognising the right skills and talent in our team
A genuinely nice place and great team to work with – lots of exposure to new systems and technologies in a company that cares about its people.
A fun office environment with some smart, nice and sociable colleagues.
30 days holiday
Recognition of your hard work and regular salary reviews
Local gym membership or cinema pass if you prefer
Opportunity to grow with us, access to training and further qualifications
A good pension
If you're interested, please send your CV to email@example.com.
If you have any questions about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org